DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Davis, Ben L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 16:15:00 EDT
Far from being an expert on this subject (or any subject for that matter!),
I have some informative data from one of our board vendors concerning
dielectric constant of FR-4.  I assume this information is fairly consistent
across vendors with the differences coming in construction. (I assume - and
I know this could be trouble - consistency due to the MIL designation of the
prepreg materials)

Some quick defintions:
Prepreg = not totally cured dielectric
Core = cured dielectric
DK = Dielectric Constant

PREPREGS (listed from thinnest to thickest):
Glass Style 106
Nominal resin content = 72%  DK = 4.2

Glass Style 1080
Nominal resin content = 65%  DK = 4.4

Glass Style 2116
Nominal resin content = 57%  DK = 4.6

Glass Style 7628
Nominal resin content = 44%  DK = 4.8

Cores are made of different combinations (for thickness) of prepregs that
are then cured.

Boards are made from combinations of cores, prepregs, and copper foil.

Dependent on your layer count and board vendor mfg style (conventional vs.
foil laminate) you can have varying DK.  I cannot echo enough the comments
of Doug Brooks that the board vendor needs to be involved with the design
team early in the process.

Unfortunately for Mitch, trying to use traditional FR-4 with 1.2 GHz
circuits is gonna be tough.  Perhaps you'll have to look at advanced
materials (like PTFE or Cyanate Ester) which have lower DK and better loss
tangents for the high speed circuits.  It will however cost you more $$$$.

Hope this information helps some.

Ben