DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:31:43 -0700
     I don't think I have any designs that DON'T have a combination of inch
     and metric components!  If there are through-hole devices with 100 mil
     pin-pitch, then I place all my components on a 100 mil (2.54mm) grid.
     Our auto-router only routes on a mil grid, so I use the smallest
     routing grid available (1 mil, or .0254 mm).  The only routing problem
     I've had so far has been with an ultra-fine-pitch QFP (0.4mm
     pin-pitch).  The pitch is so fine that the auto-router can't route to
     the pins without causing DRC errors.  I hand-routed these pins to
     fan-outs before I auto-routed the board.  Anyway, this has worked for
     me.  Good Luck!

     M. J.