DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Joseph E. J. Duclos Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:53:31 -0400
I personally use a 30 degree cutter and the following guideline for the web.

Should not be any greater than 25% of the nominal finished thickness of the
PCB or .030", whichever is smaller.
  There are some exceptions and the following are the most common:
A)  Heavy components are mounted on a large (6x6"+) PCB.  Use a thicker web,
(30% or .040" whichever is smaller).
B)  Substantial portions of the PCB are already removed by routing.  Use a
thicker web,  (30% or .040" whichever is smaller).
C)  The PCB is very small, less than 2"x2". Use a smaller web, (20% or .020"
whichever is smaller).

A .010" web is stable enough for most work, especially if you jump score in
the rail area, and if you're dealing with small boards I'd say your right in
there.
The problem lies in the 'bend before break' realm, the thinner the PWB the
more it will bend with a given web than a thicker PWB will with the same
web.
The more it bends, the more parts you have to look for under the bench.

JOE SENDZ.....