DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Brooks Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:13:32 -0700
Situations like these are a designer's worst nightmare...

It reminds me of the real need to double check the gerbers before going out
to fab, something we tend to take for granted that we expect to always be
ok... I use Protel here and the gerber RS274X outut from the 98 version that
has had 3 service packs installed, seems to be fairly reliable with it's
Gerber output, but before I upgrade to the 99SE software I will run several
tests on the output and read them in to verify that they are correct before
I send anything out....
Also, more than once, Power Circuits in Anaheim, CA, has saved our bacon by
using Valor to check the incoming job and found things like stubs, which
Protel doesn't check for...
It's very important to have a good PCB vendor check you as well... there is
so much riding on the system running smoothly... which is always risky when
you upgrade software versions....
Maybe this bug alert will save another company from the same fate... Thanks,
Mark.

Bill Brooks
Senior PCB Designer - [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Zoneworx, Inc.
40925 County Center Drive, STE 200
Temecula, CA 92591
http://www.zoneworx.com    <http://www.zoneworx.com>
Tel: (909) 296-1226 x 1037
Co-Director / Education Officer / Webmaster
for the San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/index.html
<http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/index.html>