DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:41:53 -0500
I'd tell em to follow MIL-TFD-41. (Make It Like-The Flippin Drawing-for once).
Seriously, I understand your concern, and while I'm all for manufacturers optimixing for processes etc, this whole communication issues is a two way street. Your final boards may not be affected, but not following the (notes on) your drawing or communicating to you a change, it does make one wonder what else has been changed without your knowledge/approval.

Pete Waddell
President
UP Media Group
678-589-8813

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/29/04 12:17PM >>>
The data package that I sent to our assembly house was in a three board assembly panel. I used the IPC standard for choosing the size of the panel. It was a panel 260mm x 180mm containing three boards. I talked to the assembly house yesterday and was notified that the assembly panel size was changed. There are still three boards in the panel, however the bare board manufacture decreased the size of the assembly panel. First question I have is per IPC-2221 5.2.2 Figure 5-1 I picked the correct size for the panel, optimizing the manufacturing panel? The second question is that in my notes "no changes where to be made to the board without first receiving written permission of us." This now leaves me with a question mark over my head what else was changed without me knowing it. Should I confront the Assembly house for not following my notes? Have other designers faced similar problems and what was your course of action?

Regards,

Ted Tontis CID
Engage Networks Inc.
1320 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive
River Level
Milwaukee, WI 53212
PH 414-918-4267
FX 414-273-7601

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.