DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Joseph Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:00:10 -0700
You have to consider this though - you can pay $35-45/hr. for someone in the states to do the work and *not* have to stay up until 2am to talk to them in person.  I have done quite a bit of work with companies here in the US who have farmed designs out to India and the result was always headaches.  The simple fact is that you will no doubt want to speak with the people who are doing your design work and that can happen at all hours (putting you, in effect, "on-call").  And last minute design changes may take >24hrs. to get in as again, you are communicating with people half way around the world.  The trade off of saving $10-20 /hr. is offset by the price you pay the engineer here in the states who may be billing $100/hr to stay at work past 5pm.

Being predominantly a hardware developer, I look for good people here in the states that can handle the "tough" design constraints I may throw at them.  And certainly the guys in India can handle these things with ease (many of them being degreed engineers...if that means anything anymore :)  No less, that said, I would love to be able to farm stuff out overseas but I also know that I cost a heck of a lot more (especially after-hours) than I'll be saving.  And before I would pretend to save someone money by suggesting they get their layout done in India, I always have to consider the effect that time, language, and conventions will have on the design and the cost of the finished product.

The fabrication may be a whole different story as there's not as much dialog there (if the layout's done right, eh?) but as far as the layout, I keep that close to home.  Always proved cheaper that way IMO.

Viva La America!  :)

Joe

David Baldwin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Just curious, India has been contacting me to send them some designs,
although I have some reservations. I haven't sent any jobs to them yet, I
prefer to use local contractors when possible and keep the $$ in the U.S.

They are priced competitively at $25.00 hr.

Has anyone ever gone this route and what has the success been.

TIA

David Baldwin CID+
Baldwin Technologies Inc.
1736 S. Nevada Way