DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Davis, Ben L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 07:31:00 EDT
I need to find out if there is an IPC spec that covers beveling (edge
chamfer) for gold fingers (printed edge board contacts) that are
panelized internal to the panel, i.e. not on the panel edge.

We panelize all boards on a standard panel (for us) and from time to time
that means we have edge fingers internal to the panel (or we have massive
material waste).  We have tried numerous methods - scoring the edge
(results in less than optimal bevel/chamfer), leaving a min. of .300
between images so the panel could be routed out in that area and a
special tool used for beveling (results in material waste), using a
special scoring tool to bevel (not all manufacturers have the tool or
capability).  Is there a standard?  Is there a spec?  What are y'all
doing?

thanks for any help....

Ben