DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kowalewski, Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:55:46 -0500
If I ever live another life, I want to come back as a board designer
again. Board designers are a breed apart, with a way of thinking that
really appeals to me.

Jack, I've seen a lot of your email posts, and this last one just proves
it yet again. A good board designer knows that good design is a
never-ending journey, not a destination. It's a never-ending quest to
design in the best way you possibly can, with an acknowledgement that
nobody knows it all, that there's always several ways to do something,
and that what might be a mere detail in design today might have a huge
impact downstream in fab or assembly or test or reliability or ... etc.

One of my favorite sayings is that "You need to know what it is you
don't know". An open mind with a humble willingness to listen in order
to do something in a better way is the mark of a real board designer.
Not that we are particularly humble in just about everything else of
course :-)

Trouble is, board design is much more than placement and routing and
gerber files. Personal attitudes to fellow engineers and the politics of
getting a team to pull in the same direction is also a big part of it,
as you found out.

Your comments about education, the effect of the IPC classes and your
thirst for knowledge so that you can do a better job all point to you
being an excellent designer.

You can work for me anytime.

Andy K.
Sychip Inc