DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2003

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:52:22 -0600
Thanks for the advice.

I rarely have an interest in attending software user group meetings
anymore, because I can usually learn software on my own. It seems
a little more difficult to learn good design practices, so I prefer a
design conference. I really did used to like user groups, when people
sat around sharing tips, tricks and workarounds, but I don't see that
attitude anymore, mostly slick non-informative presentations by
marketing people. Am I getting cynical in my old age?

I have to admit I've had my head down for awhile designing things,
and not paid much attention to the world around me. The summit thing
took me by surprise (I'm curious why we need it, since I took my C.I.D.
at the PCB Design Conference and it seemed a perfect place for
designers to meet on an annual basis) so I don't know what to think
about this....
..but hey, I don't know what to think about my whole world.

The divisive designer conference/summit deal
Our board house goes chapter 11
Caterpillar won't hire me even though they said they would
Mentor Graphics buying up the world
Designers everywhere looking for work
Everything going to China in a hand-basket

Is it me?

|         |           Greg Bordash     |
|         |           <gbordash@CORETEC|
|         |           -INC.COM>        |
|         |           DesignerCouncil  |
|         |           <DesignerCouncil@|
|         |           ipc.org>         |
|         |           02/21/2003 11:06 |
|         |           "(Designers      |
|         |           Council Forum)"; |
|         |           Greg Bordash     |
  |To: [log in to unmask]                                                                                                   |
  |cc:                                                                                                                           |
  |  Subject:      Re: [DC] PCB/IPC Conferences                                                                                  |

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 03/23/2003
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                Information and Reports

Jack,

I have to a agree with Karen with her comments on attending different
conferences.  A good mix would be to attend the PCB East/West shows, IPC
Designers Summit ( which is new this year) and your preferred CAD
software's User's Group Conference.  If limited to one per year you may
find that alternating between all three or others would give you the best
bang for you or your employer's buck.

Last year I attended the IPC Designers Symposium in Toronto, Canada,  this
year I will attend PCB West (next month).  It looks like the IPC has now
created their own show "Designers Summit" that will be separate from the
PCB Conferences which they had been apart of for ever.  As far as the
International Users Group meetings,  they can be far more beneficial to you
since they are geared towards the software you use day in and day out.
Obviously its up to you or your manager to approve any outing and it also
depends on what your current needs are.

As an observation that I too have noticed at recent conferences,  there
seems to be a main pool of speakers that present at all three events and
others.  Don't get me wrong here,  I think this is great but as you attend
an event or two you may tend to see the some of the same offerings.  I look
at this as a way of being able to attend the other presentations and
broaden your skill set.  Thus by alternating between the different
conferences out there you will be able to maximize your educational dollar.

I hope that this helps you out in your decision to attend the conference of
your choice.

Regards, Greg.

Gregory E Bordash C.I.D.+
Manager, Toronto Design Group

Coretec Design Group Canada
8150 Sheppard Avenue East,
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
M1B 5K2
Voice  (416)208-2149
Fax    (416)208-2193
Cell    (416)453-1561
Coretec Inc.

                    "McConnell, Karen
                    E"                       To:
                    <karen.e.mcconnell       cc:
                    @LMCO.COM>               Subject:     Re: [DC] PCB/IPC
Conferences
                    Sent by:
                    DesignerCouncil
                    <DesignerCouncil@i
                    pc.org>

                    02/21/2003 11:21
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "(Designers
                    Council Forum)";
                    Please respond to
                    "McConnell, Karen
                    E"

Hi,

Some of this would depend on how involved you or your company is with IPC.
This year the IPC Designers Summit is co-located with IPC EXPO.  It is a
great place to talk to the fabricators. You can also add the CID or CID+
course and exam to your trip.

I plan to attend the IPC Designers Summit this year for a number of
reasons:
1. As I mentioned, it's a chance to talk to fabricators
2. The Embedded Passives Technology Center at IPC EXPO
3. Off-site Applied Training Workshop
4. Hands on training
5. Technical papers a better fit for my current position

I stopped attending PCBWest a few years ago when the sessions seemed to be
repeated.  I did notice that this year there are a number of new sessions.

In choosing which conference to attend, you really need to look at the
program and select the best fit for your current and future goals.  I look
at program, costs, travel expenses, company needs and my career goals to
determine if I will attend a conference.

 I am thinking about alternating between the two conferences.  I will have
better feel after I attend the IPC conference.

That's $.02,
Karen McConnell