DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 10:02:37 -0400
Since a thermal pad is essentially a non-plated-thru hole of a specific diameter which gets filled with a thermally conductive, electrically isolating compound, it can be handled in two different ways. You can create a separate single pin component and associate a padstack to it like a NPTH mounting hole or you can add the pin with its unique pintype to the existing SMT component footprints and save them as a new component (i.e. PLCC44TH.PRT). If you change the component name, remember to update your schematic device attribute or your component part name in the PARTS section of your netlist. An advantage to incorporating the thermal via into the part is that it moves with the part, should you relocate it in a design change. Remember to add the new hole data in your drill chart.