DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 1996 22:59:35 -0700
Jennifer Jenkins wrote:
> I am looking for information on any CAD packages (software) used for or
> specific to flexible circuit design.  I would appreciate any help.

Hello!
 I was just going through some old mail, and realized that you never
really received a good answer to your question (not in public, anyway)

I have limited experience with flex. I have only done a few designs
but I have a LOT of reference material...
As far as I know, there are NO CAD packages specific to flexible
circuit design, because there really isn't too much difference between
rigid and flex from a computer point of view. Gerber data is Gerber
data.

The fabrication drawing is virtually the same, except that you will be
using appropriate notes to call out different materials, and different
specs or standards to be used for acceptability. If components will be
mounted to the flex you may need to consider stiffeners and adhesive
to provide stability, which will also have to be noted on the fab dwg.

You may need the help of a mechanical package to calculate dimensions
if bend radius or folding is required (most PCB layout tools aren't
too hip with that third dimension).

But as far as the actual layout is concerned, the same rigid-board
layout tools will work just fine as long as you understand the rules.
Rules like "keep the trace routing perpendicular to the bend", "no
vias in a continuous flex area", "stagger traces on multiple layers to
reduce I-beam effect", stuff like that. You didn't really give much
info in your message, so its hard to know what you were looking for.
Most flex vendors have guidelines that they will cheerfully give to
you (makes their life easier if you follow them), there are several
excellent books on the subject (I used Ken Gilleo's "Handbook of
Flexible Circuits", but I know Joe Felstad has a new one out, too),
and the IPC has a few publications that might help.

Flex / rigid-flex can be challenging, but I enjoy it a lot. Good Luck!

								Jack