DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:56:53 -0800
Okay.. maybe I was just thinking of the 'old days' when we used them and
they would actually spin in the whole because the funnel shape won't grab
the pad... (that's why we soldered them...) but those were non-plated holes
so that is a different situation, technically. The punch and die tool that
was used to create the flare had a limit on its travel that prevented
compressing the board and over crimping the eyelet...

(JaMi just enjoys arguing points... he always gets me on things... even when
he was in my class taking the CID test he had some very pointed comments
about the test questions and class material and made me justify everything..
He keeps me on my toes!)

I never installed an eyelet into a plated through hole before... (why would
you need to?)... so, I will withdraw my statement about the compression of
the hole... having no real experience with that sort of thing... even though

I suspect that the funnel eyelet will still spin in the hole anyway...
unless you over compress the eyelet and crimp the hole in the process, but I
would call that an improper swage for a funnel type eyelet which uses the
'flare swage' method. The 'roll swage' version is intended to crimp the
board and make a strong physical connection to the pad... and is definitely
a 'no-no' for plated through holes... In any case, why would you put an
eyelet into a plated through hole to begin with?

Since it was not my application JaMi, I can't answer your question about
whether the original Manufacturers Specified Hole Size was for a plated or
non-plated hole. That would be up to Jean-Francois to comment on...

Happy Monday! (I need my first cup of coffee... whew!)

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D., C.I.I.