DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Fri, 07 Mar 97 10:42:52 EST
 Eric,

   I have been putting vias at .014 min to SMT pads for 2 years.
 QC hasn't had any problems or issues with it.  This is typical
 for all types of SMT parts.  We choose .014 because it works out
 well with our pad sizes and a .005 grid.  We used .015 for 3
 years prior to going to .014.
   The other consideration is your soldermask clearance pad
 sizes.  You don't want to end up with a soldermask web that is
 to small or you will get flaking.

 Brandon Luther
 Dataram Corp.