DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:43:20 -0400
Yes, this part is interesting.  I'm a big proponent for working in  metric
for the same reasons that others have expressed here.

As Andy pointed out, many Americans have difficulty learning a new
language.  And for us, that's what it is.  I've found  that being able to think in
both systems is one of the first  steps.

As I've been creating and maintaining an Altium component  database for a
company, the issue of metric vs inch is discussed from  time to time.  A good
compromise has been to keep the footprint names in  agreement with the IPC
Metric base: "RESC2012X40N"; and put the "generic"  inch based reference at
the end of the description line: "Res 1.78K 1/8W 1%  0805".  It makes for
easy identification and gets everyone used to both  names for the part.

Cherie

In a message dated 3/19/2012 3:21:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,