DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Mike Holmes x4356)
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:11:54 -0500

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: "Burnett, Lewis (AZ77)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Tracking Software

I would like to find out what methods other companies are using to track and
record metrics for PWB Design/Layout.

What I am looking for is something more than just a spreadsheet, although
that could be a part of it.  I would like a system that we can record the
date the Engineer gives us the schematic and records all activity through
the design process until final documentation is completed including the
assembly drawing.  Also, included would be a data base to record metrics
(such as card size, number of components, number of nets, time spent on each
step, etc) that we could use for future projects to estimate design time and
manpower.

Any information you could share would be appreciated.

Lew Burnett

----- End Included Message -----

Lew,

	Here, in my division of Harris Corp, we use a status file that
looks like this:

*PWB Status Report*

                  Program:PROGRAM NAME
         Job-Phase Number:NNNN-NNNN
             Circuit Name:Circuit Name
                  PWB P/N:NNNNNNN-00N
                       EE:S. Littlewatt
        Design Difficulty:Moderate
                  PWB Des:M. Offgrid
             Start Layout:NN-Mon
              PWB Outline:NN-Mon
         Import Schematic:NN-Mon
          Parts Placement:NN-Mon
                    Route:NN-Mon
            Design Review:NN-Mon
Documentation and Artwork:NN-Mon
           Release to Fab:EC NN-Mon
                      Fab:TBD
              PWB Receive:TBD
                 Problems:None
                 Comments:Short; sweet.

	This is kept in the directory with the PWB files. Whenever the
designer completes a milestone or the schedule changes, he/she updates
the file by means of a program that prompts data entry in the correct
form. The file is written automatically to a directory which is scanned
periodically (30 minutes?) and a intranet web page is updated for all
to see. The manager can export the data to Excel for extraction of metrics
and manpower planning data. Regards to all ...

							Mike