DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Allen Maddox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Maddox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:08:02 -0700
This has been a great discussion. I'd thought I'd throw in my $.02. Generally we use inches. I don't know why other than that's just the way it's done. Boards are placed and routed in inches. When I create a library pattern (that's what we call it from our PCAD tools) I layout the land in metric if the data sheet is in metric and make the rest (silk, courtyard, etc.) in inches to make it easier for placement. Our mechanical engineers use inches and out vendors use inches.
To me they are all just units of measurement. All that matters is DFM and DFT. If the board can be assembled start to finish and works then I'm happy.

Allen Maddox