DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Dom Bragge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:51:08 +1000
On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, John Bradley wrote:
> Jim Dobbins wrote:
>
> > Is there is significant difference/risk in choosing rectangular
> > pads over those with rounded corners?
> >
> > -Jim

> We have used rectangle pads on all our shapes for 6 years and have
> experienced
> no problems.
>
> John Bradley

When I first came here to JNA (now Lucent) in 1993 I picked up the
pre-release copy of SM-782 to begin the geometry libraries. It implied (as
does the SM-782 RevA) that rectangular pads `were the go'. I've hence
designed our libraries conform to this. I did try a few radius rlp's to
test them out (gets rid of a lot of D-codes!). Worked fine.

I've since had a chat with Gary Ferrari about this when he was visting a
year or two ago and he suggested the implication was meant to be radius-ed
(sp?) ends to pads, not rectangular.

I've been using rectangular pads for >95% of our geometries with great
success.

--
Dom Bragge      (VK2JNA)   Lucent Technologies (SAS)
Senior PCB Designer(R&D)   16 Smith St Chatswood NSW 2067