DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Greg Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2016 09:51:42 -0800
Couple comments from an old retired guy:

Pull back on internal layers can be determined by the environment the
board will be used in as well as manufacturing issues. As someone noted,
moisture can get into the glass laminate (which is why PCB manufacturers
bake the laminate before using it to make a board). I have seen a PCB
come back from the field with internal layers corroded until board
failure because the device was in a far more humid environment than we
expected. So for those items we started using 50-100 mill pull back. The
outer layers are protected by plating and mask, and they have air
circulation. Once water gets into the internal layers it stays there and
goes "oh look - bare copper - yum".

I have worked on a couple of boards where the planes were taken to the
board edge. RF signals were routed internally with a reference plane.
The outer layers were solid ground. And the boards were edge plated,
making the board an enclosed shielding box with just coax connectors
outside. Don't know if anyone does that anymore.