DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2016 14:43:48 -0500
Jack,
What a great topic for concern.
Manual soldering is to say the least, traumatic to PCB materials.
A lot will depend on how good and diligent those doing the soldering  are.
The material will likely be fine if it doesn't get overheated by the  iron.
My suggestion would be to use the condition of the copper as an  indicator.
If the process causes copper lift or wrinkle then it may be getting to hot
for the substrate.
Are these protos or field units?
If protos, then they could be allowed a little more abuse as long term
reliability is not as big a factor.
If this is just happening during process development then the actual
customer units should have less hand work.
Lots of variables, so you kinda have to weigh the abuse with the  results.
Look closely for delam and if you can't find any then go forward.
Changing material could cause a performance change that is not preferred so
 stick with what you have if you can.
Good Luck,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+

In a message dated 2/2/2016 11:30:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,