DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:28:27 -0600
I'm not sure if I'm answering the same question you are asking,
but without doing a complicated formula, I heard a "rule of thumb"
(insert your favorite disclaimer here)
that if the gap between pairs is "5x the trace width" the cross-
talk is virtually nonexistent. I've used "3x the trace width" for years
with no ill effects.

Proper routing of a pair (matched lengths, minimized discontinuities,
etc) makes it relatively impervious to interference anyway (thats the
whole purpose of them), but to answer your question in detail you
need to provide the material you are using, the distance to the
reference plane, and find someone with a greater understanding
of physics (not me).

Also, Ultracad has a free crosstalk calculator if that helps.

good luck,
Jack

D Sharples <[log in to unmask]>@IPC.ORG>
5Jan2002 06:20 AM

Please respond to "(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>