DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Nick Ban (PCBL)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 15:10:00 -0500
Hi, Brent.

You wrote:
   "Nice spam Nick..."

If you step back and look at the whole picture, this whole discussion chain
is 'spam' and you're (plural) only making PCB Libraries more popular.
Thanks, guys. Abercrombie and Fitch got rich off controversy.

----

You wrote:
   "Nick (formally of IPC)"

Yes, I was with IPC. But I quit IPC before PCB Libraries was even
incorporated. Hmm - could it be a sign that maybe IPC and its top level
management doesn't make as much as the rumors say? I find it strange that a
few of the people who believe IPC has richly-paid staff also believe PCBL is
wealthy (see next comment).

----

You wrote:
   "Perhaps a more palatable approach would have been
    for IPC to write, or contract someone's services
    to write such a program."

IPC contracted out the SM-782 calculator and went in permanent red (never
recovered the money spent) on that project. From the offline discussion,
some people seem to think PCBL is very rich. PCBL has bills and contractors
to pay, just like everyone else. We live in a capitalistic society.

If you can create a better or cheaper software, do it. It won't take long
after you look at the time you're spending and the ledger that you will have
to share your cost with others (ie charge people and become "for profit").
But don't get discouraged, if you like what you do and think it's
beneficial, be persistent.

----

You wrote:
   "In addition the current arrangement obviously gives
    PCBL an advantage since it links PCBL to IPC."

If you feel the industry needs a tool based on any IPC standard and you can
create it, I'm sure IPC would be happy to talk with you about it. In my
humble opinion, you should approach them as you would with a solution, not a
complaint, and you will be heard.

Nick