DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 96 17:06:02 CST

     If you use the model of a piece of wire as being a resistor that heats
     up when current passes through it (as it is and as it does), then
     there should be no problem reading any graph that indicates rise above
     ambient.  This is where degree rise above ambient comes from.

     Ralph, correct me if I'm wrong, but the assumption I've always heard
     is that the air surrounding the wire is an infinite heat sink and its
     temperature NEVER increases.

     The other assumption is that temp rise above ambient can be roughly
     linear.  That means, if the chart says with a particular current you
     get a 10 degree C rise above 20 degree C ambient, then you will get
     basically (forgive me here) a 10 degree C rise at 40 degree C ambient
     with the same current.  Meaning your ABSOLUTE trace temperature is now
     50 degree C.

     When selecting hookup wire with insulation rated at a particular
     temperature, these rise above ambient charts become critical.

     Using the above info on traces (wire) covered with laminates
     (insulation) becomes a little easier.

     OK with you Ralph?

     doug mckean