DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mike Buetow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:51:07 EDT
IPC Designers Council Local Chapter Reports

ATLANTA
Next meeting: Sept. 22

The Atlanta chapter is on summer break. The next meeting is scheduled for
Sept. 22. A study group has been formed and will be meeting on a regular
basis during the fall to prepare for the certification testing in December.
All interested parties need to get on board during the September meeting.
Call Joe Gibson at Hadco (770-474-6645) for more info.

AUSTRALASIAN
Dates for monthly meetings in Melbourne will now alternate between Wednesday
(odd months) and Thursday (even months) at 6:30 p.m. at the SMCBA offices.

John Sabo will deliver the Designer Certification workshop and conduct the
exam Sept. 27 to 29, in Sydney, and he will also give a presentation on
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Sept. 30 as part of the Surface Mount
'99 conference. Other sessions of particular interest to designers will be
from Martin Cotton of Viasystems (UK) on high density interconnections, Chris
Zombolas will present information on changes to EMC regulations, and we are
also planning a one day program on BGA design and assembly considerations.

Further details on all programs are at www.smcba.asn.au.

AUSTRALIA
At our last meeting Tony Saunders gave a history of the chapter to where we
are at this point in time. Lyn Dayman gave the Designers Council presentation
and that raised lots of discussions and some really surprising results and
comments.

The next meeting is planned for September, complete with a presentation on
PCB materials to be given by
Jim Weir. A lot of these designers wanted to know about substrates. There
were offers from other companies to host future chapter meetings with a short
presentation and tour of the facilities included. Our chapter members are
prepared to help and put in to get what they want in return. Their
suggestions for programs and how to recruit more members are good.

COLORADO
Next meeting: Sept. 14
Topic: Flex circuit DfM/How to choose a design service bureau
Location: Holiday Inn (Northglenn)

Speakers for the meeting are not yet determined. The time is from 2 to 6, at
the Holiday Inn, 10 East 120th Ave. Northglenn. There is no fee to attend.
However, sponsors are needed. The fee of $250 gets a display area to show
products and network with attendees.

GREATER BOSTON
We had our last meeting of the season on June 3, at Lockheed Martin/Lexington
(usual place). Our speaker
was Dr. Eric Bogatin of Bogatin Enterprises, SI/EMI Technology Analysis and
Training. The topic was PWB stackups and impedance control. We'll start
meeting again this fall.

GREATER PHOENIX
Next meeting: Aug. 10
Topic: PWB Laminates and tour of AlliedSignal's lamination facility
Location: AlliedSignal Laminate Systems

AlliedSignal will make a presentation on its latest laminate materials from
6:30 to 7, followed by a tour of its lamination facility. AlliedSignal is at
165 South Price Road, in Chandler.

In June, John Lane, president and CEO of Ohio Design Automation Inc. gave a
presentation and demo of its viewing and markup tool.

HOUSTON
Next meeting: Sept. 17
Topic: DfM
Location: Great Southwest Equestrian Center

We will host a seminar Sept. 17, on design for manufacturability. The course
focuses on manufacturing design criteria cited in IPC-D-275, and will be
taught by Mary Sugden, of The Copper Connection. Attendees will become
familiar with base materials, land pattern development, board design
parameters, manufacturing processes, reliability issues, process variations
(solder mask over bare copper, hot air solder leveling, padcap, and blind and
buried vias), and the cumulative effects of the manufacturing tolerances.
Mary is a regular presenter at the PCB Design Conferences and other trade
shows, and is a contributor and former columnist for Printed Circuit Design.
She has taught all levels of PCB design for the past 17 years, and is a
co-founder of The Copper Connection. The one-day seminar will be located in
west Houston at the Great Southwest Equestrian Center. The registration cost
will be $95 if postmarked by Aug. 31, and includes course materials and
lunch. For more information, contact Barbara Burcham at (281-275-7687;
[log in to unmask]), or Susy Webb at (281-647-7241; [log in to unmask]).

MIDWEST (Minneapolis)
Next meeting: Aug. 3
Topic: Open meeting
Location:

We did not have a meeting in July. Our next scheduled meeting will be Aug. 3,
for which we plan to have an open session. The tentative date for the
September meeting is Sept. 15.

NORTHERN ALABAMA
Next meeting: Aug 2
Topic: High-speed design

We will also have a demonstration of the latest Veribest tool offerings. For
information contact Frank Frank (256-858-8568) or Mark Ambrose (256-942-9741).

NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Next meeting: September

In June we had a meeting with a presentation on HDI substrates, presented by
Dynamic Details. During our meeting we held a drawing for three sets of the
IPC-2220 series of standards. The winners of this drawing were; George
Sotiropoulous of  CADServ, and Richard Klecka and Bob Gorge of Fermi National
Accelerator Lab.

The next meeting is scheduled for September.

For more information or suggestions on the next meeting call President Karl
Bates, CID (630-713-9853), or vice president Linda Gallo, CID (630-378-5729)

NORTH TEXAS
Next meeting: Sept. 16
Topic: High frequency materials
Location: Texan's Recreation Center, Dallas TX

Our speaker in September is John Dobrick, an applications engineer at Rogers
Corp. The meeting time is 6:30, starting with supper and networking

The chapter is starting a new and exciting phase. The new executive team is
building on the excellent work already done, and with our official
registration as a nonprofit organization behind us we can move forward in
increasing our membership and developing an advanced technical and education
program. We also have a strong interest in designer certification, which we
will pursue with vigor for our members. And our new chapter golf shirts will
soon become cool collector's items! Watch this space for the latest.

ORANGE COUNTY
There was a luncheon meeting July 30 to plan future meetings. Results will be
posted in the next ROUTE.

In Sept. 21 we'll hold a joint meeting with IMAPS. The speaker will be Dave
Hoover, field application engineer at McCurdy Circuits. He'll focus on two
hot PWB topics: controlled impedance boards (single-ended and differential),
and surface finishes (what, why, and where). We'll also tour McCurdy
Circuits, a PWB manufacturer.

PACIFIC NORTHWEST (Portland)
Next meeting: Sept. 14
Topic: High speed workshop

July's meeting was held immediately after the end of the first day of the PWB
Certification workshop in Kent, WA. This meeting was a joint meeting between
the Pacific Northwest chapter and the newly formed Cascade chapter. In
attendance were about 22 individuals, about half of what we were hoping for.
Two EDA CAD vendors - Incases and Veribest - sponsored a catered dinner for
all who attended the workshop and dinner.

After presentations by our sponsors, we opened with introductions. Some
attendees came from as far as Mexico and Canada. Each chapter covered its
business; we reported our official member count reached 13 paid members as of
June, while Cascade said it needs volunteers to take on officer positions and
more planning meetings. Our technical presentation was on GenCAM, and made by
Dieter Bergman of IPC. We thank him for reviewing this apparently complex
subject while showing some real work being accomplished by IPC and various
EDA CAD vendors.

The Executive Board meeting Aug. 18 will be held at Praegitzer Design in
Hillsboro, starting at 6 p.m. For more information visit our Web site.

Our next general membership meeting will not be the third Wednesday of
September. Instead, on Sept. 14 we will substitute an all-day workshop, High
Speed Printed Circuit Design - A Practical Approach, taught by Rick Hartley
of Applied Innovation. At $100 for IPC Designer Council members and $150 for
all others, it's likely the best price you'll find for a workshop with this
caliber of speaker. More information and a registration form can be found on
our Web site.

RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARRK
The RTP chapter is just getting underway. Contact Steve Trasatto at Ericsson
for more information.

SILICON VALLEY
Next meeting: Aug. 17
Topic: High density substrates
Location: Copper Connection

The topic is high density substrates, dielectric properties, and PWB power
distribution. It starts at 6 p.m. The speaker is Tom Buck of Advanced
Interconnection Technology.

Also, on Sept 14, IPC's Gary Ferrari will speak on many topics. It will also
be at the Copper Connection, 3003 Bunker Hill Lane, Ste. 201, Santa Clara.

SMOKEY MOUNTAIN (Knoxville)
Next meeting: Sept. 23
Topic: Chapter kickoff
Location: CTI

Joe Gibson of Hadco, president of the Atlanta chapter, will be the guest
speaker. He will discuss chapter formation, responsibilities, and provide an
overview of the Council.

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND
Next meeting: Aug. 11
Topic: DfM for assembly
Location: Connie's (Derby)

The next meeting features a presentation on DfM for assembly, with a focus on
newer components and pick-and-place capabilities. The presentation will be
given by George Grom of OSDA, a local electronics assembler. Also on the
agenda is a brief look at section 14 of IPC-SM-782 (ball grid array land
patterns).

SPACE COAST (Melbourne, FL)
Next meeting: Aug. 3
Topic: TBD
Location: Harris Corp.

The August meeting starts at 11:30 in the Building 2 auditorium. (The July 28
meeting was cancelled.)

The agenda and menu is not firm yet. Chuck Fisher of Harris is working on a
meeting sponsor (probably ACT, a flexible circuit manufacturer) and guest
speaker. The backup plan is to show two IPC videos. Two door prizes will be
given away to paid members.

SUSQUEHANNA REGION
Seven of our members have attended the Syracuse Designer Certification
workshop July 14-15 and eight took the certification exam on July 16. We
would all like to thank Scott Trudo from Philips Broadband Networks Inc. and
his associates for taking the initiative to organize the workshop dates with
the Designers Council and bringing a workshop a little closer to our chapter.

The study group sessions at RPA Electronics Design are over for the summer
But, if there is any interest, we will be happy to start them again in the
fall, Please feel free to contact Mark Radley (607-771-0393; [log in to unmask])
for more information.

Chapter Anniversaries
El Paso/Borderland (1998)