DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Olson, Jack" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:34:47 -0500
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like you have more than 12mils between
pads, so that would not be an issue.
The ,6mm (23.6mils) dimension is hard to evaluate without knowing the height
of the component.

From somewhere I remember (sorry for not having references) that if you take
the MAXIMUM size (width) of the component, make sure the pad is sticking out
past it by at least half the maximum height (are those castellated leads?)
to ensure an appropriate solder fillet geometry.

Take the MINIMUM size of the component together with the MAXIMUM
metallization on the underside of the component, and make sure the pad under
the component extends underneath enough to make a decent solder fillet at
the heel. (Some say the heel fillet provides more mechanical strength than
the toe)

hope that helps a LITTLE bit...
Good Luck,
Jack