DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:32:55 -0500
Nick-

I waited as long as I could.... Maybe I'm way off with this, and if so, I
apologize, but... I'm thinking you might be a little biased.

Does PCBLibraries get a % on every copy of 7351 sold? I have to say it
feels kind of funny to get funneled into your company's website from a
utility delivered as part of a spec from IPC.

Even if PCBLibraries gets no $ from the sale of the spec, your voluntary
participation garners you a whole bunch of exposure. Doesn't seem kosher to
me somehow... especially knowing that you recently left IPC.

I sense a change in the force, Luke.

-Chris

                       "Nick Ban (PCBL)"
                       <[log in to unmask]>           To:   [log in to unmask]
                       Sent by: DesignerCouncil          cc:
                       <[log in to unmask]>         Subject:    Re: [DC] IPC Design
                                                           Specifications
                       03/21/2005 01:46 PM
                       Please respond to Nick

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not for IPC becoming wealthy. However,
would like to see it operational 5 years from now.

Lowering cost of the standards may get more people to purchase more, but
that does not necessarily mean that IPC will be able to make up its
expenses
in creating and promoting of the standard (ie sustain itself).

It seems to me it's about choosing the lesser of two evils:

1. Higher cost standards to cover the expenses
        - Some cannot afford and probably illegally reproduce
         standards; operating expenses met.
2. Low cost standards to make more affordable
        - cost of creating standards remains high (even with the
         cutbacks of the last several years), and liabilities
         cannot be paid despite the fact that everybody in
         the industry uses the standards.

While most standard users would prefer option 2, it is not a good business
model of any company that isn't otherwise adequately funded.