DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2009

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:35:05 -0700
Dave,

I've used the IPC-7351 land pattern generator for around 5 years and
never had a assembly house complain about component placement issues.  I
do highly recommend it for both saving time and for minimizing headaches
at the assembly house.

Typically I use the nominal settings for the components and the
courtyards(spacing around the part).  Using the courtyards as the
placement boundary, I can place them with the boundaries touching (i.e.
spacing set to 0).  This leaves about 20-25 mils between the physical
bodies of the components which is more than enough space for typical
parts for pick and place machines.

On denser designs or design that have to fit a very small form factor, I
occasionally use the "least" setting which still permits enough space
between the parts for most pick and place machines.

Hope this helps,

-Jeffrey

JEFFREY A. JENKINS
SR. PCB/CAD Designer CID+