DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"David W. Gulley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 13:13:17 -0500
Mark Holmes wrote:

> We are currently experiencing solderabillty problems with a surface mount
> header. One of the recommendations from an independent test house was that
> we specify a gold plated version. My question is; what benefit does gold
> offer over tin lead plating? (wrt the solder joints) Our pads are plain old
> HASL.

You did not specify the type of solderability problems so let me offer
the following:
 Regarding gold plated headers:
   Gold *may* reduce problems of insufficient wetting.
   Gold *might* reduce problems of solder shorts.
 Regarding HASL pads:
   Gold pads *should* reduce coplanarity related problems.

Knowing the specific problems would be required to make an educated
recommendation.

David W. Gulley
Destiny Designs