DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:19:00 -0400
I think, as always, the answer is: It depends.

If you have a run that carries 6 amps on a tiny board and you don't have
room to clear around an 0603 capacitor pad and still keep the minimum
copper width you need, or by doing so you would sacrifice another aspect of
the design, then perhaps it's OK to bury the pad in the 6A trace.

If you bury all GND pads in a plane for no particular reason, perhaps you
ought to rethink what you're doing.

I still think a big part of what we get paid for is to pick the best
compromise.

Purchasing, Packaging, Engineering, Assembly, and Test:
Pick one and imagine doing a board only from that perspective. Would that
design please the others? Or, try to imagine a design where all agreed that
what you'd done was perfect (if you can imagine that, then you're not
imagining the same kind of purchasing people I deal with - because if
suppliers were paying us for the privilege of giving us stuff, my folks
would say we should be getting paid more).

My goal is to not piss anyone off too bad. And if someone is mildly
perturbed from time to time but agrees that I did that right thing after
I've explained why, I feel pretty good.

-Chris (el CID)

                       "Allen T. Maddox"
                       <allen.t.maddox@GAI-TRONIC        To:   [log in to unmask]
                       S.COM>                            cc:
                       Sent by: DesignerCouncil          Subject:    [DC] Trace width ratio to
                       <[log in to unmask]>           pad

                       07/27/2005 02:47 PM
                       Please respond to
                       "(Designers Council
                       Forum)"; Please respond to
                       "Allen T. Maddox"

Hey Folks,

I was always told to NOT exit a pad, especially a SMT pad, with a trace the
same width of the pad for the reason of dissipating the heat off the pad
and creating soldering issues.
I have an engineer who doesn't believe me and wants proof. Does anyone have
any articles that support what I've been taught, or have I been mislead all
these years?

Thanks,

Allen Maddox C.I.D.
Sr. PC Board Designer
GAI-Tronics, Corp
610-796-5854
PO Box 1060
Reading, PA 19607-1060

www.gai-tronics.com

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
E-mail Archives