DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:32:11 -0500
Jack and guys.

Jack is very correct in recommending a thorough look
at the design is necessary before determining
a sufficient pad, but....

2221's AR specifications are..how to say this
with out offending... not very good for soldered
pads.

Talking with old fart that teaches Design, I was
given a value that I've heard for years regarding
a SOLDERED pad. Not a via or mounting hole, but a
Soldered pad. The value of 2 over the hole size
was given.

The Min AR specification in IPC spec wasn't designed
to provide a solderable pad, but only to say "this
is the bottom line". Our industry has a history of
providing limits but not working values. This is due
to the fact that many working values are APPLICATION
SPECIFIC and what worked for one doesn't work for others.

The values in IPC will actually solder ok, but the
some assembly (not all) people will not like it and the
chances of component replacement are low. Thicker board
are more apt to re-soldering since there is enough in the
hole to keep the plating from ripping out.

These are the questions to ask...
*Could the component be replaced - or would the board just
be discarded.
*Is space in demand on this board.

CR