DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Peter G. Houwen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 2016 08:29:23 -0600
Steve,

When does your boss say it ends?  That's really all that matters.  If you don't like that you either don't get to see a finished board, or that he has you driving to customers' houses to dust off the installed boards for them, the problem is with your job, not your career.

I've had positions where I get it to gerber and never see it again.  My current employer keeps me involved in all aspects - material selection, vendor validaation, hand soldering prototypes,  helping our captive shop with assembly processes and ICT, FA.... because my experience makes me the guy to ask for that stuff.   No trips to a customer's house (yet)

I do enjoy doing all of that, I'm happy they let e do it.  And it's made me a better designer.  Much more fulfilling than just handing out gerbers.

Pete