DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe O'Neil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 17:27:34 -0700
Bill and All:

While it is sad that most of the industry is simply being pushed into
this and not making a conscience choice, it is clear that this ship has
sailed...

We are doing our best to inform the community that even if their
products are exempted by RoHS their supply chain is in flux and they
need to manage the changes if not the compliance.  I wrote the following
article for our Customers in the Medical and Military industries and it
covers a few of the topics in this thread including, the fact that lead
in electronics should not be at the top of the worlds list of problems
at the moment:

http://www.medicaldesign.com/articles/ID/12424

With all of that said, there is one other spin on this worth looking
at...  Economics!  There is going to be a lot of re-design required in
the next 12+ months, there is going to be a renewed demand for component
engineers, design engineers, prototyping and engineering firms.

Hope for the industry...

WEEE actually does more to drive 'environmentally sound' product
lifecycle designs and practices than RoHS...

Imagine what the landfills will have coming there way in the next year:
- Newly Obsolete Leaded Components
- Leaded Electronics no longer saleable
- Spools of 'bad' solder

Oh well, I hope the economics of this drives a recovery to the US
electronics industry.  I am enjoying this thread, I'm glad some still
think in terms of revolution.

Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes,
Joe

Joseph F. O'Neil                        Hunter Technology
President                                       2941 Corvin Drive
(408) 245-5400                          Santa Clara, California 95051
[log in to unmask]                      www.hunterpcb.com

Interconnect and Electronic Manufacturing Services Since 1968