DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"McGlaughlin, Jeffrey A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:44:25 -0500
Jack -

Your question got me to thinking, so I did a little research.  Way, way
back in time when the Mil specs were king we used MIL-STD-275E as the
guide for design. In it was a much simpler table for the spacing of
conductors with only 8 possible classes. This table was for edge to edge
spacing only, z-axis spacing was fixed to 3.5mil [89um] minimum. This
language was carried in to the IPC-D-275 specification, however with the
advent of IPC-2221 it changed to include z-axis spacing - I for one
missed this change until now. I have always used the dielectric
withstanding numbers from the slash sheet/material data sheet de-rated
by 1/3-2/3 to determine z axis spacing and have only once in twenty
years experienced a z-axis punch through short. This short, by the way,
was as a result of exceeding the rated voltage output by an order of
magnitude not as a result of the design.

Have I been doing it wrong for so many years?

Jeffrey McGlaughlin, CID
Engineering Designer
Battelle
505 King Avenue