DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:08:38 -0500
Good morning guys.

I am sitting here creating a Footprint (or Pattern) the old fashioned way...
using a datasheet and my CAD software.

The particular footprint is for an LED diode.

The datasheet makes the following statement... "Solder Pad Proposal acc.
IPC-7351".

That's all fine and good. So I place the Pads... per the IPC-7351, Pad 1 goes
on the left, which is also the Cathode of the LED.

I then look up at the graphic for the part... and the top view shows the LED
Anode on the left.

Folks, to me this shows that most, if not all companies that do this sort of
thing are still viewing diodes with the Anode as Pin 1. This - or as I was
taught long ago - and the IPC-7351 backs me up on, is backwards.

For those that are going to say, 'Don't worry about it, and create it the
proper way.', don't worry, I will. Only... this goes further than just
swapping the leads on the pattern. It also affects the orientation that the
diodes will come off of the reel to the pick-n-place machine.

How do we educate the manufacturers to follow the IPC-7351 spec, and not just
quote it in their datasheets?

Well... I feel better now that I've vented. Time to get back to work.

Regards,

James Jackson
Oztronics