DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Gregory, Bob" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:47:24 +0000
Good morning Kitty;
It isn't so much the Glass Transition temperature (Tg) you need to worry
about so much as the total summation of the Z-axis expansion both above
and below the stated Tg for the processing temperature. Unless chosen
carefully a high Tg board can give you a bigger expansion over the
applied (process) temperature.

As an aside the board design can make matters worse, for example if the
aspect ratio of any vias is greater than 6:1 (target 4:1) the likelihood
of barrel cracking becomes even more significant with LF.

Just to give you something else to worry over, modern laminates tend to
absorb moisture very readily and if uncontrolled the extra thermal
stress during LF processing can cause delamination. Is the environment
where the boards are processed controlled?

Hope this helps.

Regards
Bob Gregory