DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Ted Tontis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:50:40 -0500
I think the real question should be when is it cost effective to leave
non-functional lands in?
A six layer board with a low aspect ratio will have very little benefit from
having them left on the board. Where as a board with a high aspect ratio
will benefit from it tremendously. Also if a design is a commercial product
and high reliability is not necessary then why risk the increased cost or
production time?
So it depends,
    What is the aspect ratio of the board? The way to calculate it is to
take the maximum thickness of the PCB and divided it by the smallest drill
hole. The maximum thickness is the is the stack-up plus the thickness of the
copper prior to plating. Do not use soldermask or platting finish in your
calculation. The ratio you come up with can be used to compare with what
your board supplier says they can handle.

    What is the end use product? Is it a keypad for a microwave oven or is
it the controls to a fighter jet? If it is a product that is mass produced
and used in a commercial environment then you shouldn't need them. If the
end product is going to go into a life saving device or something critical
then it may be a good idea to leave them in. Especially if your aspect ratio
is close to what your board supplier says is their comfort zone.

Ted T.