DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

March 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:23:14 -0800
Interesting comment Pete,... I really wasn't privy to other specs and their
creation but I was in the meetings for the CID+ creation and did see how
that was run I have only been in on this since 2001.

We actually do have representation that 'intercedes' for us to the IPC in
Nelish, Jean and Christi. They do listen to our suggestions and our
comments... and we appreciate their efforts and support. They do get a lot
done... and manage a lot for as small a group as they are... The different
committees made up of designers like us take our members wishes and needs to
the IPC staff and get them to present those in the form of programs and
events to help meet those needs.

It's funny you should say that, because I have always thought that in
principle, the DC should have 'equal representation' on the IPC board of
Directors...or whatever policy making body there is that affect our future,
equal to the PCB manufacturers and Assembly folks if you get my drift. After
all we are a fundamental part of the whole industry aren't we? But I don't
think we could afford to pay the kind of money they do to stay in-the-game
after the revelations that they do ante up a pretty sum of cash as a
standard practice... (Too pricey for my wallet if they wanted my
participation).

Anyway, it has never been offered and the few times I naively mentioned it
in meetings and discussions I was laughed at and told that there was 'no
way' we would get someone from our group on the board... I guess the thought
is out of the question as far as the 'true' IPC members are concerned...

Unless they do have someone who is a designer from the DC at their board
meetings, they aren't really going to hear the true designers point of view
from someone who has been there... someone who has been a designer all their
lives and can speak it straight... the way it truly is. I wouldn't hold my
breath though... it will probably be a long, long time... if ever... until
anything even remotely like the DC having influence over any of the policy
of the IPC happens... I don't expect the IPC will come running to us asking
us to be on the board... not anytime soon... and by contrast, anything less
is not really not true representation by a designer though... now is it?...
so in effect we are 'attached' to them, supported by them, but without a lot
of clout or say about what they do or how or when they do it... we depend on
the 'good graces' of the representatives that we meet with and coordinate
with to get things done and our comments pass thorough a filter of sorts...
but it has all worked up to now...

We are communicating with them through our representatives the best we can
through the system that is in place now... and so far we are having some
success with most of the things we need to do... there are some that we meet
resistance on too... but you can't win them all... they have their own
things on their plates to deal with too. We just keep at it and hope they
get the message... most of the time they do. We do have folks in the IPC
that really appreciate our group and its needs and they want to help us
succeed as an organization. We are truly thankful that they recognize that
and we need their support.

We can talk about it but I don't think we are going to change 'city hall'
anytime soon. Besides most designers don't want to be bothered with all the
stuff the IPC is into... we just want our issues dealt with and the backing
it takes to get things done to make the PCB industry a better place for
designers to make a living and to help make better products for our
companies... some of whom are 'true' IPC members I might add... I think we
do that through educational content and opportunities we can present to our
fellow designers to advance their careers. And so far the IPC has been
helping us do just that in a lot of ways.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
e-mail:[log in to unmask]
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com