DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 96 6:39:39 EDT

Three Rivers Designers Council
For Pittsburgh and the Tri-state area

`Everything comes together at the
Three Rivers Designers Council'

On the internet at http://www.ipc.org/noframes/3RDC/index1.htm

You can also contact the 3RDC Steering Committee :

Jeff Imes        PH 412-349-1811 ([log in to unmask])
Jamie Morrow     PH 717-944-9560 (mail : [log in to unmask])
Ed Pavlock       PH 412-767-2400 x3441 ([log in to unmask])
Dave Piccoli     PH 412-776-8947 ([log in to unmask])
Lou Takach       PH 412-688-2574 ([log in to unmask])
Joseph Zdybowicz PH 412-772-6552 ([log in to unmask])

The 3RDC Core committee met prior to the general membership meeting on
October 15 Th. and discussed the following :

-Chapter incorporation
Jeff is doing a great job with investigating the requirements to become
incorporated. Jeff explained the application procedure. He also provided us
with examples of what information our by-laws will need to contain. We also
talked about how we are going to raise funds to cover the costs necessary
for the various applications.

-Mail distribution
Lou is looking into obtaining a company sponsor to distribute mail to our
members.

-Certification office
Bill O'Hella from Medrad has agreed to become our certification officer.
Thanks !.......

-Meeting sponsors
Various companies have expressed an interest in sponsoring future meetings.
A schedule of events will be coming soon !

 -Subcommittees
Joe has started working on our first newsletter but he can't do it all
himself. We are in need of volunteers not only for the NEWSLETTER committee
but also for a BOARD OF THE MONTH and ACTIVITIES committee. If you are
interested in working on any of these committees, please contact one of the
steering committee members.

-Survey
Jamie has finished with his survey of CAD Tools and platforms. He'll share
the results with us in an upcoming meeting.

-WEB Page
Our WEB page continues to grow ! Jeff is doing an excellent job as
webmaster !! Check it out at :

http://www.ipc.org/noframes/3RDC/index1.htm

Our next meeting is scheduled for :

November 12 Th.
Topic : "Design for Testability, In-Circuit Test"
Presented by : Gene Hixon from FORE Systems.
Location : Union Switch & Signal
Hosted by : Joe Z. from FORE Systems

GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

First of all, we would like to thank Lou Takach and Union Switch & Signal
for sponsoring this meeting and providing refreshments.

The meeting was brought to order at 7:00 PM by Joe Z. Jeff updated everyone
on our incorporation status. Jeff also talked about plans for our WEB page
growth and content. Joe then talked briefly about the need for volunteers
for our various subcommittees.

 Today's meeting was on Surface finishes and we were lucky enough to have
had two distinguished speakers to discuss them with us. The presentations
were given by John Orlowski from Hadco and Tom Eshelman from Enthone OMI.

John's presentation covered :
-Metallic finishes
--Benefits
--Evolution of metallic finishes
--Selective Solder (controlled deposits)
--Electroless / Immersion
--Electroless Ni / Immersion Au
--Electroless Pd
--Electroless Ni / Pd
--Electroless Ni / Pd / Au and their advantages
-Cost matrix comparing the above combinations with a HASL finish.
-Discussed test results (Pd vs. HASL)

Tom's presentation covered :
-Company (Enthone OMI) overview
-Driving forces behind using OSP's as a HASL alternative
-Cost savings between OSP's and HASL
-Process cycle
-Organic coatings - comparisons
-Organic coatings - Assembly compatibility
-Assembly process considerations
-Shelf life and storage considerations
--solderability vs. long term storage
--solderability vs. multiple reflows
-Electromigration
-Moisture Insulation Resistance
-Solder Joint reliability
-Assembly process cycle
--Material compatibility
-Benefits to the assembler and end user
-Benefits to the fabricator

Both presentations were excellent and very informative ! Thanks again to
both of you !!

The meeting was then brought to a close at approximately 10:30 PM.

Lou Takach

Union Switch & Signal Inc.
412.688.2574 (voice)
412.688.2399 (fax)