DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2010

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
James Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:31:01 -0500
I believe... (doing this from memory), that if you have a RoHS BGA, you need
to process the entire board as RoHS. (But I believe you already said that.)

You will have issues due to the lead-free BGA needing to be processed at a
higher temperature.

If you don't, you will need to have the BGA's reballed with leaded solder
(which is a pain, and costly).

I know a company that went through this nightmare a while ago, and learned
this lesson.

This also means that you need to have the PCBs fabricated that can take the
higher temps. You are no longer using FR-4, but boards with a Tg compatible
with lead-free.

As to the reliability of RoHS, I don't have any articles that I can point you
to. It seems that from my RoHS research, for every article I found that says
lead-free is unreliable, there is another that says it is.

From my personal experience, gut feeling and old-age kicking in, I don't have
a good feeling using RoHS.

I'm sorry I don't have any articles or web sites I can point you to. I'm sure
that you will locate some.

If you want to hear anecdotal stories about my RoHS experiences, I will be
happy to regale you with them - off-line.

Regards,

James