DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Fred Dark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:51:05 -0400
I agree...

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Ball [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 2:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DC] Soldermaks and ATE\ICT

Hi Fred-

For what it's worth...

As near as I can tell, a "plugged via" is full of non-conductive stuff, by
definition, and is not the same as a "tented via", which as I understand,
is a via with no opening in the soldermask...

Per your note, I'd expect plugged via's every time.

If soldermask artwork supplied has the TP vias open, with the rest closed,
I'd think the boardshop would call for clarification before proceeding to
do anything... but I guess that doesn't help now.

Are you saying the boardshops in the past left the TP via's open? Or that
you were somehow able to probe them successfully despite the fact that they
were plugged?

Throughout our company we have a mix of via / testpoint philosophies (which
is a lot like not having a philosophy). On vias, separate pads, open vias,
tented vias.... but if a via is a TP, it better not have any mask on it or
in it.

Best Regards,
-Chris

                       Fred Dark
                       <[log in to unmask]>              To:   [log in to unmask]
                       Sent by: DesignerCouncil          cc:
                       <[log in to unmask]>         Subject:    [DC] Soldermaks and ATE\ICT

                       04/04/2005 01:48 PM
                       Please respond to
                       "(Designers Council
                       Forum)"; Please respond to
                       Fred Dark

Hello All, I recently has a problem with one of our venders... We received
some boards that had ATE\ICT testpoints using vias... However the vias had
soldermask in the barrel of the vias and the ATE\ICT test probe did not
make contact... We have had the below note on our drawing for years and
never had this problem, only with this specific vender... Would the note
below be appropriate, or should there be more to it... I would appreciate
the input...

Regard's, Fred Dark Jr.

4. SOLDER MASK: USE SMOBC PROCESS (SOLDER MASK OVER BARE COPPER).  SOLDER
MASK TO BE LPI (LIQUID PHOTO IMAGEABLE), WITH VIA HOLES PLUGGED, APPLIED TO
BOTH SIDES PER THE APPROPRIATE ARTWORK LAYER.  SOLDER MASK REGISTRATION
SHALL BE +/- .005

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
E-mail Archives

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it."