DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:53:05 +0100
On 23 Dec 99 at 10:29, Jimmy Blier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does IPC have rules about smoking in electronic manufactures?
> I know about static, clothing and controlled environment, but what
> about smoking?
>
> If yes, what document.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jimmy

I assume you worry about cleanliness issues with electronic
assemblies.

If you try to stop any smoking in your fab floor, I know the
way one of my customers did. He installed smoke detectors and an
automatic fire alarm system. Every false alarm caused by
smoking was billed to the specific smoking person....

However, I don't know how good these smoke detectors can distinguish
between cigarette smoke and solder fumes.

Maybe there are specific requirements in MIL- or spacecraft business
which need specific cleanliness requirements and specify
allowed particle numbers in the air (like clean room environment).
Perhaps you can justify indirectly with these requirements a
non-smoking area.

Best regards

Matthias Mansfeld

Regards
Matthias Mansfeld
Matthias Mansfeld Elektronik
* Printed Circuit Board Design and Assembly
Am Langhoelzl 11, D-85540 Haar, GERMANY
Phone: +49-89-4620 0937, Fax: +49-89-4620 0938
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.mansfeld-elektronik.de