DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:30:18 -0400
Rodney/Bill-

OK, Tg isn't when the glass melts. Thanks.    ..."expand on that one for
me"... heh heh...

Exceeding the rated Tg sounds like a thing to avoid rather than achieve. So
again, why the range on the spec if not that you can specify a target
within it?

I've submitted the question to IPC directly and will report back the
official response.

Preparing to stand corrected,
-Chris

                       "Brooks,Bill"
                       <[log in to unmask]>                To:   [log in to unmask]
                       Sent by: DesignerCouncil          cc:
                       <[log in to unmask]>         Subject:    Re: [DC] IPC-4101

                       04/22/2005 02:22 PM
                       Please respond to
                       "(Designers Council
                       Forum)"; Please respond to
                       "Brooks,Bill"

Actually Chris, the Glass does not melt.

I'm not sure why they refer to the rapid expansion of the epoxy/glass board
in the z-axis as the Tg or 'glass transition' phase of its properties but
they do... Maybe someone more into the properties of the materials can
expand on that one for me...  I believe the more epoxy there is the more it
expands... the glass is fairly stable material and comes in different
diameters of the filaments in the weave of the fiberglass cloth. Varying
from very coarse to very fine... The resin content affects the Tg, to the
best of my knowledge, as well as the DK of the material too.

I agree with you that for a designer the 'maximum useable temperature' is
really what we want to know... A nice chart indicating that in plain
language would make it simpler for most of us.  In the mean time, good
design practice tells me 'pay attention to the lowest number' and the
design
should be okay.

Great thoughts Chris, maybe they will stir some activity related to this Tg
specification issue and how it is published.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Member of the San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://pcbwizards.com