DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2008

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:50:07 -0800
Hi Jeffrey.

PWB = Printed Wiring Board
PCB = Printed Circuit Board

While we use them interchangeably in the industry, there has been
assigned distinctions between them by certain companies.
Some designers reason that a printed wiring board replaces wiring as you
would in a chassis assembly with bundles of wires which should not
affect the performance of the circuit... but a Printed Circuit board
infers that the board is a component of the electrical 'circuit' and
affects its performance as such... however...

The IPC standards group chose not to get into making the distinctions
and called them simply "PRINTED BOARDS"... leaving out the wiring or
circuit name all together.

I also follow a similar title construction method as you specify in your
message, mostly because of my former training... The DOD-STD-100 spelled
out the standard title naming convention going from the most general
category of naming identification to the most specific description
separated by commas and as a benefit this naming method also sorts
nicely in a sorted listing of products or drawings. :) The method your
CM folks are recommending doesn't sort too well...

The IPC published a standard that addresses documentation or "Printed
Boards" (note they don't say PCB or PWB). It is IPC-D-325 and it gives
the user broad interpretive powers with respects to creating titles in
section 3.4 'Titles and subtitles'. They really don't restrict you very
much... It does however reference DOD-STD-100 in the applicable
documents so by inference you could use it to establish your company
standard if desired... Also the Global publishing company produces a
Drawing Requirements Manual (ISBN: 1570530971) that many companies adopt
as a standard for documentation and contains basically the same info as
the DOD-STD-100 has regarding title generation. We use that here as our
standard and it agrees with the methods you describe as well.

I hope that helps some... obviously, your engineering group will need to
agree on some standard if you hope to gain the benefits of having a
standard. Depending on the end user's needs for your documents you can
be very general or extremely specific and all of those are acceptable
under the appropriate class of documentation requirements according to
the IPC... and also to the best of my knowledge.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+
DATRON World Communications, Inc.
"Performance you require - Value you expect"
http://www.dtwc.com
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510