DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:51:01 -0400
Hi-
Is anyone familiar with any formal documentation saying how much you can flex a
rigid PCB after assembly? Before you hurt it, I mean. I know this sounds like a
stupid question, but "none" isn't a valid answer. And "as little as possible"
doesn't sound very scientific.

I'm familiar with the bow/twist spec for bare boards. That's not what I'm
looking for. We're seeing failures on finished assemblies at the customer. When
they dismount and ship 'em back, they work. But if we flex the housing (and
therefore, the PCB) we can re-create the failure. When we tell the customer it's
because of how they stress the PCB when they mount it, they'll ask what amount
of stress is acceptable. Can anyone quantify that for me?

Best Regards,
-Chris Ball

"This message is intended only for the named recipient(s).
If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and
destroy the original and all copies of the communication.
Thank you."