DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Mitch S. Morey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:31:59 -0700
Ditto your comments Roger, as I'm sure many 'seasoned' designers will.
Bill, I also take offense with your comments:

Bill Brooks:
> That does not mean that anyone who does not have the certificate is not
> qualified... They just have not been tested and certified. Certainly if
> they were certified there would be no question as to their knowledge
> level. And once tested they can compare that level with others who were
> brave enough to have stepped forward and put their reputation on the
> line by testing and certification.

Have not been tested? I test myself each and ever time I interview or even
read the Classified ads for positions. I've been doing this work since the
early 80's. I'm not degreed, other than the school of hard knocks. I've
had to 'train' engineers and mfg engineers on doing PCBs. Does that mean I
could pass the CID or CID++ test? If I did take it, and want to pass I
probably could. If I didn't give a R__A__, I'd fail. That's my call. The
companies I've worked for STILL don't see the importance of it to the
company, and won't pay (maybe reimbusement, haven't tried that). My
current manager isn't cert'd and doesn't see the importance. Do I need to
be 'brave' to take it? Come on! Does the cert make me a "High Speed"
designer? No, I've dug into HS, High Density, RF, Analog, Audio, etc.
designs enough to make myself marketable, with or without the cert.

Pose this question: If you were a designer and didn't have a good network
of colleagues, acquaintences, and App Engs, would the CID paper give you a
better chance of finding/getting your next job? It might get you a 3-4%
pay increase at your current company (for the year you took it)!

That's the real test.

Good day.

Mitch

Response from Roger:

> This is a "Journal" response.
> I usually do not do this.
> But a silly "Off Topic" letter required an
> application of common sense.
>
>> I guess that's my queue to jump in...
>
> I think you really meant "cue!"
> (I KNOW, you are not versed in the performing arts!)

(snip)