DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Gary Ferrari <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:21:40 -0400
Ron,

In general, I agree with your findings, as long as all conductors in/out
of the lands of a given chip device are relatively the same. When one
has a gross mismatch between conductor widths on each of the
terminations (lands) the reflow performance may be affected resulting in
unwanted movement of the component. Also keep in mind the size of the
termination and device you are soldering to. Some components require
greater heat profiles than others. Adding land thieving to the
combination can be looking for trouble in as that some lands or
components may not solder properly.

I agree that modern processing profiles have been able to overcome many
of these anomalies. However, the designer stills needs to be aware of
these possibilities and practice preventative and cautious design. Trade
offs are inevitable, as long as we are aware of what we are trading off.

Regards,

Gary Ferrari
Ferrari Technical Services
860-350-9300