DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

April 2001

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Smith-BCD, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:04:13 -0500
Hi Stephan,

The spacing between Tip and Ring and between Tip and Ring and other circuitry is a geometric concern based on certain voltage requirements. When doing the layout be sure to consider the 3D effects of both creepage - the distance between two conductive circuits across the insulator and clearance - the distance between to conductive elements through the air (including metal enclosures, card guides and the like). For UL1950, the trace spacing requirements are .060" between Tip and Ring (T/T, T/R, R/R) for an 800V peak surge. And .100" (actual 2.5mm) between Tip and Ring and other circuitry @ 1000VAC RMS.

Testing is sometimes performed in two manners - a voltage test and dimensional measurements so be sure to observe proper spacing rules for your application.

If possible it's best to remove any power and ground plane data from beneath the T/R circuits instead of trying to provide separate clearance for each pad or via. If T/R and other circuits are on adjacent layers it's beneficial to note on the PWB drawing that a minimum of 3 plies of pre-preg should be used between these layers. This potentially eliminates a test, I don't remember which one.

Keep in mind that creepage spacing is cumulative. By that I mean if the total distance between two pins of a multi-pin device meet the overall spacing requirement your golden. For example: A straight 3 pin connector has pins 1 & 3 connected to T/R, pin 2 is unconnected. The distance between pins 1 & 2 is .030" and the distance between pins 3 & 2 is .030". The combined distance is .060" which meets the requirement. Of course if pin 2 were connected you'd be porked.

Good Luck
Rick

Rick Smith
CAD Supervisor