DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2002

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jack C. Olson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:21:22 -0500
I think it would be more accurate to say if you have ISOLATED
thin tracks they tend to get etched away, so you place extra
copper near them to protect them.
I don't think you can cause etching problems by adding copper.
unless your clearances are too small.

I have had bare-board vendors suggest that their life would be
easier if everyone would pour copper around every layer! That
would be less etching and balanced construction, what could be
nicer?

Anyway, if you are hatching a plane to avoid warping it may not
work... you would probably be better off just adding a corres-
ponding fill to the opposite layer for balance.

I have never heard of any real advantage to hatching except for
the warning that I've read (but never seen in real life) that a
large solid area of copper won't bond well with the soldermask
and it could delaminate, but I suspect this is a hold-over from
old-time chemistries that have since improved.

take all that with a grain of salt, and best wishes,
Jack

Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>@IPC.ORG>
12Aug2002 06:38 AM

Please respond to "(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>;
      Please respond to Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>