DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:52:27 -0500
Yes, this is cross posted.

Dave Sharples (and anyone with an answer)

I am currently working a job that the frequency is only in the Mhz.
Before I get to far into this job and others I am attempting to
research the subject, make a table that show the correlation
between Frequency, fall time, spacing and ground shielding.

Initially, does anyone have any data or a good rule of thumb
for parallel distance per frequency and fall time?

When using shielding, the book "High speed digital design"
suggests grounding the shielding line every so many inches/mils
to the plane.

Does anyone have additional information with this?
I do know the increase of Frequency and fall time inversely
affects the distance for the grounding. I just don't have a good
rule of thumb or data to go by.

Does anyone use something that works well?
When this is complete you can count that it will be
added to the Resource file.

Chris Robertson
CAD/CAM Engineer
Lockheed - Martin Services, Inc.