DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 1997

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Taylor, Chris H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:28:54 -0400
Were price no object, I would choose Cadence Allegro on UNIX, Steve. The
NT version is one to be avoided, as they made sure that it would not
>compete with their pricey UNIX tool. Concerning DXF and IDF and DRW
compatability, I can only vouch for the DXF compatability, as I have had
no experience or demand for the other two formats. Be ready to thump
down extra bucks (in 5K increments) for DXF I/O and other non-core
utilities.

There is probably no single PC design umbrella that handles all of the
translation you mentioned and the 3rd party tools are out there and
cannot be acquired without paying homage to the UNIX god. Cadence does
import Gerber and converts it into traces, and does it quite well. This
feature allows you to import the Gerber files on a job, place your
Cadence library parts using the silkscreen and pads as a template and
then convert the Gerber traces to connected nets. You then can export a
netlist which is void of real signal names (which the Gerber format does
not support). Advanced CAM Technologies, the CAM350 folks and Router
Solutions, Inc. both offer solutions to the conversion delima, but
neither is a "push-button" task. There is some intelligent intervention
required.