DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2007

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 10:12:36 -0700
Sorry Jack... maybe my choice of words was poor, I meant no disrespect at
all... In fact I greatly respect your insights and comments...

The 'Tricks' I used before we had any way to thermally model it were...

Use more copper... thicken the copper to 3 or 4 ounces, add layers to the
board with duplicate tracks of copper one over the other and stitch them
together with vias... I did the solder plating trick too like George has.

I have build boards with very high currents (35 AMPS) before and had them
survive... but I didn't have the 'science' behind it to work with, so I
basically 'over designed' it using all available space for conductors to
carry the current. 4 oz copper and .400 wide traces on multiple layers if I
remember correctly... it was a long time ago. This was a power supply design
and not exactly the same type of problem I run into in the RF field. The
heat developed in one track will influence the temps in the vicinity of any
another heat source, whether it is a track or component that is contributing
to the local heating of the epoxy laminate. It is much nicer to have the
capability to model it and 'see' what temps things will get to given
specific environmental restrictions.

But when in doubt... more copper is better. And a thermal escape path for
the heat to travel away from the board to the ambient air is very important
too. Otherwise, the heat will get into a situation called 'thermal
runaway'... where the temp builds to the point of destruction of the
assembly because there is no place for the heat to go.

You could visualize it as a pool with multiple faucets as sources of filling
the pool and a drain for emptying the pool... If the water in the pool
represents the heat in an assembly... then in order to maintain a specific
temperature, the water going into the pool must equal the water exiting the
pool... If the flow of water is increased the amount of water exiting must
also increase if you want to contain the level of water in the pool... if
the exit is restricted to a lesser amount of water passing through it, but
the flow from the faucets has increased then the level in the pool rises...
as the temperature does in a thermal model. Open the faucets and the level
rises to the point of equilibrium... inlet flow equaling outlet flow... if
it can't pass the water out fast enough... the pool eventually overflows...
much like the thermal runaway situation I was describing. So the heat
generated by the multiple tracks adds to the local heat in the board and
spreads at whatever rate the thermal resistivity the epoxy laminate and
copper can spread it until the entire assembly reaches thermal
equilibrium... with the sources of heat being the highest temps... and the
surfaces in contact with the ambient air are at the lowest temps.

That sort of my understanding of a thermal system... as best I can explain
it. I'm not a thermal engineer... but they are nice to have around in a
design situation that has high currents involved.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+
Tel: (760)597-1500 Fax: (760)597-1510